Destination moon

Recently inspired by some 3D printed rockets lamp, I thought maybe it’s a good occasion to start the exercice myself from scratch.

 

As a child, reading the Tintin ‘Destination moon‘ adventures really expand my dreams and I still enjoy reading this comic. The iconic red and white rocket has not too complicated shapes, but still interesting. Of course the rocket it is yet modeled, and plenty of 3D files can be found over internet. However the most accurate in my opinion is the work of Gregory V.

So I started Fusion360 with some contraints in mind.

  • As accurate as possible shape from the comic
  • A size up to 50 cm tall
  • Assembling without extra parts

I used the same solution as Gregory for the alternating red and white parts, but the structure rods are printed with the two central pars.

 

And the assembly looks like the following :

assembly

Lets start the lovely Prusa i3 and be patient. The rocket is printed in three times. For a total of approximately 45 hours and 480 grams of PLA.

 

To generate a dynamic plume of smoke effect, this time I used 3D Studio Max and its ‘meta-particle’ system :

tintin3DS

Few white LEDs connected to the USB port of the computer gives a result which I’m quite satisfied!

IMG_6053

Thanks for reading and if you’d like to go further, this repository might interest you.

Creative Commons License

16 thoughts on “Destination moon

  1. gregperso

    OMG she is beautiful !!! I love your job ! The addition of smoke and LEDs are really superb ! Congratulations 🙂 (Greg V)

    Reply
    1. pierremuth Post author

      Merci! Et surtout merci aussi pour ton travail, je m’en suis grandement inspiré pour le damier.
      Peut être que si j’ai ton courage je me lancerais dans le ponçage et peinture 😉

      Reply
  2. tifn

    Très belle réalisation ! Accepteriez-vous de publier les sources ou les paramètres géométriques utilisés ? Je voudrais en faire une version plus économe en plastique (avec toutes les facettes séparées) et ce serait plus simple que de “découper” les STL…

    Reply
      1. Tifn

        J’utilise OpenScad pour le développement, je ne connais pas grand-chose aux formats 2d/3d, mais par exemple un dxf ou svg peut être facilement importé (c’est ce que j’ai fait pour le profil du corps de la fusée que j’ai projeté, puis converti en dxf pour l’utiliser dans OpenScad dans mon premier essai). Sinon, le STL et quelques autre formats peuvent être importés pour des objets 3d. Après, on peut aussi faire des courbes de Bezier, et dans ce cas il suffit d’avoir les points de contrôle. En fonction du logiciel que vous avez utilisé et du format original, je peux chercher un moyen de récupérer la forme le plus intelligemment possible (par exemple en permettant de changer la résolution si le format original le permet, pour des impressions carrément énormes!) Au final j’ai juste besoin du profil extérieur du corps, de la forme (et position) d’une jambe, et des hauteurs des limites entre les rangées de damier. Des éléments que je peux bien sûr retrouver à partir de toutes les pièces, mais c’est moins propre.
        Et pour le poids… Je vise le minimum ! (premier essai : environ 65g en tout pour 32cm de haut)

      2. Tifn

        Merci pour le DXF. Je pense qu’il y a toutes les informations dont j’ai besoin (courbes splines). Plus qu’à trouver comment comment les récupérer dans OpenScad. On verra ce que ça donne !

  3. Alexander

    I’m stoked. Really fun and an awesome ide, absolutely love it. I really want to make one for myself and read the readme included on Github. What infill are you using and how much have you scaled it compared to the included picture?

    Reply
    1. pierremuth Post author

      Thanks for your nice words!
      If I remember correctly, I used 10% infill with 2 perimeters. The picture shows a 700% scaled print, which correspond nearly to the maximum for the legs, in one part, on a Prusa i3.

      Reply
      1. Alexander Glaser

        Thank you for the reply. Already started printing a couple days ago with some slightly bigger values. 800 % scale and 20 % infill, hope it works out. It’s a lot of printing but so rewarding if it turns out good 😀

  4. stigbosmans

    I really love this design! I tried to print it on my ender 5 using Cura as a slicer. But the 3-1_white doesn’t fit the 3-2_red and vice versa. Do you have any advice regarding slicer settings I might need to tweak?

    Merci Beaucoup

    Reply
    1. pierremuth Post author

      Hi! thanks a lot for your nice words! I observed small scale prints needs some sanding on the triangular rod. I should add some play on the model, it can be the angles are too round due to the extruder size. However these two parts should fit firmly as they will ensure the rigidity. So I can only advise sanding the rods and holes 😉

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s